An ISO 9001, ISO 14001, BS OHSAS 18001 Certified and NABL Accredited Hospital
History




A trusted landmark in the crowded streets and alleyways of Tis Hazari in Old Delhi. An institution of compassion and caring for those in pain ‚ the St. Stephen’s Hospital.
The story of St. Stephen's Hospital began over a century ago, when a hospital for women and children was opened in 1885 by a group of missionary women, the first of its kind in Delhi. The need based growth of the hospital widened the scope of the hospital's operations and subsequently, in 1908, the hospital established itself at its present site in Tis Hazari.

Since then, St. Stephen's Hospital has nursed North Delhi's teeming population, with special care for the economically weaker groups. The area around the hospital is among the oldest residential areas of Delhi. It is congested and over crowded with its attendant medical and environmental problems.

Today St. Stephen's Hospital serves the needs of around 5,000,000 people residing in the walled city of Delhi. Of our patients, only 25% occupy the private beds and 75% use the general wards. An overwhelming majority of our patients come from the low-income groups, who are given full medical treatment at subsidised rates. For poor patients the entire treatment is free of charge.

Quite naturally, this policy places great pressure on the hospital's finances. And since we receive no Government funding, we are dependent on the compassion and understanding of well-wishers and donors, to carry forward our mission of hope.
Dates, Personalities and Events which stand out in the history of St. Stephen's Hospital
1858

Mrs. Priscilla Winter came to Calcutta at the age of 16. It was her pioneering work that established the now well known St. Stephen's Hospital from the humblest of beginnings.

1864

Mrs. Winter started her medical work on the banks of the river Yamuna with a box of medicines and simple remedies.

1867

Mrs. Winter called in the help of others through what was known as "White Ladies Association" to run a small dispensary in the city.

1874

A house was rented and a woman worker engaged to manage the dispensary, to train nurses and to visit women in their houses. At that time the Punjab Government was giving Rs. 410/- a year for medicines and the Delhi Municipality was contributing Rs. 75/- a month in scholarships for training women as nurses.

1876

Dr. Bose, a male doctor started visiting the hospital and giving valuable advice as there was no other doctor and not even a trained nurse at that time. It was a great loss when he died the following year.

1881

Mrs. Winter died at the age of 39. It was in her memory that a plot of land in Chandni Chowk was bought on which was built a small 50 bed hospital over-looking Queen's Gardens now known as Company Bagh.

1885,31st October

St. Stephen's Hospital, the first hospital for women and children in Delhi was opened at Chandni Chowk, by Lady Dufferin.

1891

Mr. Winter died. In memory of both Robert and Priscilla Winter an extension was built to the hospital, a three storeyed block overlooking Chandni Chowk.

1891

Dr. Jenny Muller the first full time doctor in St. Stephen's Hospital came to India and worked till 1916. It was during her time that the site on which St. Stephen's Hospital now stands was acquired and the present Maternity Wing was built.

1906,3rd December

The foundation stone of the old hospital was laid by the Countess of Minto at Tis Hazari, overlooking what was then a Police Parade Ground and now the Tis Hazari Courts. Dr. Muller said as she stood on the building site and watched the walls rise, "I am sure I am building too big a hospital and am wasting the money so generously donated".

1908

Sister Alice Wilkinson arrived in India from from Britain. The nurses Training School of the hospital was started in her time. She became Nursing Superintendent and was responsible for raising the standard of nursing not only in St. Stephen's Hospital but in whole of India being founder member of the Trained Nurse's Association of India where she worked as its Secretary until she left India in 1948. She continued working in the S.P.G. House in London until her 90th birthday when she retired and returned to India to spend her last days here. She was active till then in bringing together countless nurses in India and abroad. She died in St. Stephen's Hospital at the age of 92 on 15th May 1967.

1909, 9th January

The new hospital in Tis Hazari was formally opened. The OPD had been opened six months earlier.

1913

Dr. Helen Franklin joined the staff and worked in St. Stephen's Hospital until 1920 when she became Vice-Principal and Professor of Surgery in the Lady Hardinge Medical College, Continuing to give part time services to St. Stephen's Hospital. In 1937 she left Lady Hardinge Hospital, took up full time work in Ranchi  and later in St. Stephen's Hospital for a yrar till her retirement in 1945. The Nurse's Hostel and Doctors' Quarters were built in 1913.

1920

The Cottage Wards were built,  some of which were demolished to be replaced by the private wing in 1969.

1926

Dr. Alison Barnaby joined the staff. She was on the staff until 1951 and again for a short term in 1956. She is remembered by many as the 'Safed Bal Wali Daktar', a much loved and respected doctor.

1927

Dr. Charlotte Houtton came to India. She was the Medical Superintendent in 1933 in place of Dr. Houlton. She was a member of the U.S.P.G., and was involved in the planning of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences. In 1941 she was awarded the Kaiser-i-Hind for here services in India and on her retirement in 1961 was awarded the M.B.E by the British Government. She visited the hospital in 1969 and in 1976 came for the opening of the new general hospital. She was known far beyond the limits of Delhi specially for her Obstetrics and Gynaecological skill and very many of her old patients still remember her with gratitude.

1946

Dr. Ruth Roseveare joined the staff in 1946. She left in 1967 to become Head of the Community of St. Stephen's.

1961

Dr. Lucy Oommen took over charge as the first Indian Medical Superintendent of the hospital from Dr. Morris, having been a member of the medical staff since December, 1942.

1963, 14th March

The foundation stone of the present Nurses Training School building was laid by Miss Alice Wilkinson who was the Nursing Superintendent from 1916 to 1938.

1968, 16th March

The foundation stone of the New Wing of the Maternity Block was laid by Dr. A N Jha, Lt. Governor of Delhi.

1969, 1st March

The new wing of the Maternity Block was opened by Mrs. Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India.

1969, 24th March

The St. Stephen's Hospital Society was registered under the Societies Registration Act.

1970

The land adjacent to the Hospital up to Bouleward Road, 2.7 acres, was acquired from Government.

1972,13th February

The foundation stone of the new General Hospital was laid by Shri V V Giri, President of India.

1976, 6th March

The new General Hospital opened by Mrs. Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India. Dr. Morris who was present at the inauguration function was given a special award by the Prime Minister of India being one of the two awards instituted by the Government of India in the international year of the women to foreign nationals, in recognition of their outstanding service.

1977

Dr. Oommen was awarded "Padma Shri" at the investiture ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan in recognition of her devoted and selfless service to the hospital and to the community.

1980

Construction of 64 dwelling units for essential staff of the hospital began at 4, Rajpur Road.

1981, 11th May

Dr. Savitri Kavan, Deputy Medical Superintendent, passed away after serving the hospital for 29 years.

1981,1st December

The new OPD Extension of the General Hospital was opened by Mr. C M Stephen, Minster of Communications.

1983, 11th April

Housing Complex at 4, Rajpur Road, with 52 dwelling units completed.

1983,3rd September

The Community Health Care Centre inaugurated by Shri Jag Mohan, Lt. Governor, at Nandnagri Resettlement Colony.

1984,4th December

Allotment of 3 acres of land adjacent to the hospital along the Boulevard Road.

1985, 31 October

Completion of 19 additional rooms for private patients and additional accommodation for doctors and nurses.

1985,25th November

Centenary Celebrations conclude; Release of Centenary Commemorative Postage Stamp by Shri. Rajiv Gandhi, Prime Minister of India.

1988

Dr. J Jacob took over as director.

1995,15th December 

The new Mother & Child Block which was built with a generous grant from the Overseas Development Administration of British Government, was inaugurated by Mr. Madhav Rao Sindhia, Minister for Railways. 

1999, 31st August 

Dr. J Jacob retired and Dr. Mathew Varghese took over as Director.

1999,7th September

MRI Centre was inaugurated by Mrs. Sheila Dikshit, Chief Minister of Delhi.

2001

Paediatric and Neurosurgery Intensive Care Units were commissioned.

2002, 11th July

Thalassemia Day Care Centre was inaugurated by Mrs. Sheila Dikshit, Chief Minister of Delhi.

2002,16th October 

The first kidney transplant at St Stephen's Hospital was successfully performed by the Departments of Transplant Surgery and Nephrology.

2005, 9th August

Outpatient registration and pharmacy modules of the new Hospital Information Software were made operational.

2005, 27th October

Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam, President of India, renamed the mother and child block as "Dr. Loocy Oommen Mother and Child Block".

2006,1st Novermber

Dr. Mathew Varghese's tenure as director ended and Dr. Sudhir Joseph took over as Director.

2007, 10th October

Rt. Rev Karam Masih tenure as Chairmen ended and Rt. Rev. Sunil Kumar Singh took over as Chairmen.





Home :: About Us :: Contact Us :: Administration :: Patient Welfare Society :: Sitemap :: Check Mail  
Copyright 2008 St Stephen's Hospital
Managed by St. Stephen's Hospital, Delhi