Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user 'ststephe_ssh'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/stst56ephe/public_html/testing/include/conn.php on line 9

Warning: mysql_select_db(): Access denied for user 'nobody'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/stst56ephe/public_html/testing/include/conn.php on line 10

Warning: mysql_select_db(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/stst56ephe/public_html/testing/include/conn.php on line 10

Admin Login



Specialities

Services

Patient Information

Tender Notice


About Us

 

A trusted landmark in the crowded streets and alleyways of Tis Hazari in Old Delhi. An institution of compassion and caring for those in pain, the St. Stephen's Hospital.

 

The story of St. Stephen's Hospital began over a century ago, when a hospital for women and children was opened in 1885 by a group of missionary women, the first of its kind in Delhi. The need based growth of the hospital widened the scope of the hospital's operations and subsequently, in 1908, the hospital established itself at its present site in Tis Hazari.

 

Since then, St. Stephen's Hospital has nursed North Delhi's teeming population, with special care for the economically weaker groups. The area around the hospital is among the oldest residential areas of Delhi. It is congested and over crowded with its attendant medical and environmental problems.

 

Today St. Stephen's Hospital serves the needs of around 5,000,000 people residing in the walled city of Delhi. Of our patients, only 25% occupy the private beds and 75% use the general wards. An overwhelming majority of our patients come from the low-income groups, who are given full medical treatment at subsidised rates. For poor patients the entire treatment is free of charge.

 

Today St. Stephen's Hospital serves the needs of around 5,000,000 people residing in the walled city of Delhi. Of our patients, only 25% occupy the private beds and 75% use the general wards. An overwhelming majority of our patients come from the low-income groups, who are given full medical treatment at subsidised rates. For poor patients the entire treatment is free of charge.
Quite naturally, this policy places great pressure on the hospital's finances. And since we receive no Government funding, we are dependent on the compassion and understanding of well-wishers and donors, to carry forward our mission of hope. Dates, Personalities and Events which stand out in the history of St. Stephen's Hospital

Dates, Personalities and Events [Since 1858 to 1909]

1858

Mrs. Priscilla Winter came to Calcutta at the age of 16. It was her pioneering work that established the now well known St. Stephen's Hospital from the humblest of beginnings.

1864

Mrs. Winter started her medical work on the banks of the river Yamuna with a box of medicines and simple remedies.

1867

Mrs. Winter called in the help of others through what was known as "White Ladies Association" to run a small dispensary in the city.

1874

A house was rented and a woman worker engaged to manage the dispensary, to train nurses and to visit women in their houses. At that time the Punjab Government was giving Rs. 410/- a year for medicines and the Delhi Municipality was contributing Rs. 75/- a month in scholarships for training women as nurses.

1876

Dr. Bose, a male doctor started visiting the hospital and giving valuable advice as there was no other doctor and not even a trained nurse at that time. It was a great loss when he died the following year.

1881

Mrs. Winter died at the age of 39. It was in her memory that a plot of land in Chandni Chowk was bought on which was built a small 50 bed hospital over-looking Queen's Gardens now known as Company Bagh.

1885, 31st October

St. Stephen's Hospital, the first hospital for women and children in Delhi was opened at Chandni Chowk, by Lady Dufferin.
Mrs. Winter died in 1881 at the age of 39 years following the birth of her tenth child. The momentum of the Female Medical Mission generated by Mrs. Winter was kept alive by her husband Mr. Winter, Secretary of the USPG and the Cambridge Mission in Delhi. The Mission decided to build a women's hospital to commemorate her life's work among Indian women. It was in her memory that a plot of land in Chandni Chowk was bought in 1883 and in 1884 the foundation stone was laid. St Stephen's Hospital for Women and children was opened at Chandni Chowk in October 1885. The new hospital was more airy and provided wards for some 20 in-patients. Miss Engelmann was the first head of the hospital. Dr. Robert Winters died in 1891, after a ministry of more than 30 years in Delhi. In 1895 a new 3 storied extension was completed. This had a proper operating theatre. The completed building would stand as a memorial to both the Winters.

1891

 

"One of the pioneer medical missionaries of India"

Jenny Muller, a young woman of Indian-German origin, had joined the Mission as a teacher-evangelist in 1884. She later went on to train at Calcutta Medical School and at London School of Medicine for Women. When she took charge in 1891, she was the first full time qualified woman doctor at St. Stephen's Hospital for women and Children. When she moved to Karnal an outreach centre Dr. Staley took over.
Mr. Winter died. In memory of both Robert and Priscilla Winter an extension was built to the hospital, a three storeyed block overlooking Chandni Chowk.s
In the following years a lot of qualified medical women (almost all European) joined the Mission. Among them were Dr. Staley, M.B., Dr. Minna Bazely M. B, and Dr. Agnes Scott M.B. Dr.Staley was described as "a most charming and fascinating little lady." It is said that, "Professionally Dr. Scott was outstanding; she was a skilled surgeon very neat and accurate in her operation." One Indian woman doctor, Martha Francis, was notable in the mission, working for over a decade. Also more fully trained English nurses were recruited to improve nursing standard. Dr. Jenny Mullers' appointment had brought in a lot of development at the hospital and it was soon full.

1905

Miss Scott writes in her annual report in 1905, (owing to Dr. Muller's absence on furlough)-'One of the most important events of the year has been the finding of the site for the new St. Stephen's Hospital. The site granted is a long way from the present hospital; it is within easy reach of the 'Sadar', the most crowded and most rapidly developing suburb of Delhi; The ground is open, and should be a very healthy site for a Hospital. All that remained to be done when I left Delhi, was to sell the present hospital; for it is from the proceeds of its sale that we must find our funds sufficient to build at least enough of the new Hospital to be able to start work, provisional plans are already drawn up and once we have the money we can go ahead."
As by now the hospital was getting extremely overcrowded Dr. Jenny Muller writes- 'Those who know our present hospital will understand how we long to enter into possession of this Land of Promise.' The new hospital plans allowed for the accommodation of 50 beds in a central two storied block which include an operating theatre, outpatient dispensary, chapel, and bungalow for medical staff. Sir Swinton Jacob who was architect to the Delhi Mission is on record having said that "he had drawn plans for many hospitals, but never had a more sensible submitted to him than Dr. Muller's for our present hospital". "Dr. Muller has been justly called one of the pioneer medical missionaries of India"

1906, 3rd December

 

The foundation stone of the old hospital was laid by the Countess of Minto at Tis Hazari, overlooking what was then a Police Parade Ground and now the Tis Hazari Courts. Dr. Muller said as she stood on the building site and watched the walls rise, "I am sure I am building too big a hospital and am wasting the money so generously donated".

1908

Photograph of Chapel of St. Luke, it is now known as the 'Hospital Chapel'. Today it remains the centre of the spiritual life of the hospital. The highlight every year, is the Midnight Service on New Year's Eve when the chapel is filled to overflowing .This is the time the Director and staff together thank God for his faithfulness in the past year and for his blessings on the Institute and itsHealing Ministry in the New year.

1908

 

Sister Alice Wilkinson arrived in India from from Britain. The nurses Training School of the hospital was started in her time. She became Nursing Superintendent and was responsible for raising the standard of nursing not only in St. Stephen's Hospital but in whole of India being founder member of the Trained Nurse's Association of India where she worked as its Secretary until she left India in 1948. She continued working in the S.P.G. House in London until her 90th birthday when she retired and returned to India to spend her last days here. She was active till then in bringing together countless nurses in India and abroad. She died in St. Stephen's Hospital at the age of 92 on 15th May 1967.

1909, 9th January

 

The New Hospital in Tis Hazari was formally opened on 9th Jan 1909. The OPD had been opened six months earlier. In Jenny Mullers words this was built on -'The Land of Promise'. The new hospital in Tis Hazari was formally opened. The OPD had been opened six months earlier.
Today this building has the Nursing College and a part of it has the Physical and Medical Rehabilitation wards.

Dates, Personalities and Events [Since 1913 to 1981]

1913

Dr. Helen Franklin joined the staff and worked in St. Stephen's Hospital until 1920 when she became Vice-Principal and Professor of Surgery in the Lady Hardinge Medical College, Continuing to give part time services to St. Stephen's Hospital. In 1937 she left Lady Hardinge Hospital, took up full time work in Ranchi and later in St. Stephen's Hospital for a yrar till her retirement in 1945. The Nurse's Hostel and Doctors' Quarters were built in 1913.

1914

Dr. Mullers' work among women was recognized by the Government and she received the Kaiser-i-Hind award in 1914.

1917

Dr. Muller retired in 1917 after 33 years service. Dr. Minna Bazely was Chief -in -charge from1917-1938. She also retired after 30 years service.

1920

The Cottage Wards were built, some of which were demolished to be replaced by the private wing in 1969.

1926

Dr. Alison Barnaby joined the staff. She was on the staff until 1951 and again for a short term in 1956. She is remembered by many as the 'Safed Bal Wali Daktar', a much loved and respected doctor.

1927

 

Dr. Charlotte Houtton came to India. She was the Medical Superintendent in 1933 in place of Dr. Houlton. She was a member of the U.S.P.G., and was involved in the planning of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences. In 1941 she was awarded the Kaiser-i-Hind for here services in India and on her retirement in 1961 was awarded the M.B.E by the British Government. She visited the hospital in 1969 and in 1976 came for the opening of the new general hospital. She was known far beyond the limits of Delhi specially for her Obstetrics and Gynaecological skill and very many of her old patients still remember her with gratitude.

1946



Dr. Ruth Roseveare joined the staff in 1946. She left in 1967 to become Head of the Community of St. Stephen's.

1952



 ’A Grade’ Diploma Course in Nursing was started.

1961

Dr. Lucy Oommen took charge in 1961 as the first Indian Medical Superintendent of the hospital from Dr. Morris, having been a member of the medical staff since 1942. She remains the longest serving doctor in the history of St. Stephens Hospital having worked for over 4 decades.

1963, 14th March

The foundation stone of the present Nurses Training School building was laid by Miss Alice Wilkinson who was the Nursing Superintendent from 1916 to 1938.

1968, 16th March

The foundation stone of the New Wing of the Maternity Block was laid by Dr. A N Jha, Lt. Governor of Delhi.

1969, 1st March


The new wing of the Maternity Block was opened by Mrs. Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India.

1969, 24th March

The St. Stephen's Hospital Society was registered under the Societies Registration Act.

1970

The land adjacent to the Hospital up to Bouleward Road, 2.7 acres, was acquired from Government.

1972,13th February



The foundation stone of the new General Hospital was laid by Shri V V Giri, President of India.

1974



St. Stephen's Hospital Patient Welfare society was formed in 1974 by old patients of the hospital to assist the hospital. The driving forces behind this society are Mrs. Anuradha Goel, and Miss Pamra. For the last 36 years, the Society has generously provided financial support for the medical treatment of poor patients. They are urrently supporting 14 Thallassemic patients. They have been closely associated with the cultural events of the hospital providing encouragement,gifts and awards during these events.

1976, 6th March

The new General Hospital opened by Mrs. Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India. Dr. Morris who was present at the inauguration function was given a special award by the Prime Minister of India being one of the two awards instituted by the Government of India in the international year of the women to foreign nationals, in recognition of their outstanding service.

1977



Dr. Oommen was awarded "Padma Shri" at the investiture ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan in recognition of her devoted and selfless service to the hospital and to the community.

1980

Construction of 64 dwelling units for essential staff of the hospital began at 4, Rajpur Road.

1981, 11th May

Dr. Savitri Kavan, Deputy Medical Superintendent, passed away after serving the hospital for 29 years.

1981,1st December

The new OPD Extension of the General Hospital was opened by Mr. C M Stephen, Minster of Communications.

Dates, Personalities and Events [Since 1983 to Till Date]

1983, 11th April

 

Housing Complex at 4, Rajpur Road, with 52 dwelling units completed.

1983,3rd September

The Community Health Care Centre inaugurated by Shri Jag Mohan, Lt. Governor, at Nandnagri Resettlement Colony.

1984, 11th Oct

The start of Centenary Celebrations was inaugurated by President of India, Zail Singh. In the picture with the President are Dr.Oommen, Sister Suran, Nursing Superintendant Miss Pamra and Mrs. Anuradha Goel (Patient Welfare Society).

1984,4th December

 

Allotment of 3 acres of land adjacent to the hospital along the Boulevard Road.

1985, 31 October

 

Completion of 19 additional rooms for private patients and additional accommodation for doctors and nurses.

1985,25th November

On 25th Nov 1985 at the conclusion of the Centenary celebrations the nation paid tribute to St. Stephen's Hospital. Prime minister Rajiv Gandhi presided over its Centenary celebrations. The Govt. of India released a commemorative Centenary postage stamp.

1988


Dr. J Jacob took over as director.

1995, 20th Oct

Inauguration of Cardiac Cath Lab by Madan lal Khurana, Chief Minister, Delhi.

1995

Mother and Child Block -1995

1995,15th December

.

The new Mother & Child Block which was built with a generous grant from the Overseas Development Administration of British Government, was inaugurated by Mr. Madhav Rao Sindhia, Minister for Railways.

1999, 31st August

 

Dr. J Jacob retired and Dr. Mathew Varghese took over as Director.

1999,7th September

MRI Centre was inaugurated by Mrs. Sheila Dikshit, Chief Minister of Delhi.

1999, 1 Nov


 

Dr. Mathew Varghese took over as Director on 1st Nov 1999. He joined the Orthopedic department at St. Stephen's hospital in 1990. A respected Orthopedic surgeon, he is well known for his work in Post Polio deformity and cerebral palsy.

2001

 

Paediatric and Neurosurgery Intensive Care Units were commissioned.

2002

The hospital got ISO Certification 9001, 14001 & 18001 from BSI.

2002, 11th July

Thalassemia Day Care Centre was inaugurated by Mrs. Sheila Dikshit, Chief Minister of Delhi.

2002,16th October

 

The first kidney transplant at St Stephen's Hospital was successfully performed by the Departments of Transplant Surgery and Nephrology.

2005, 9th August

 

Outpatient registration and pharmacy modules of the new Hospital Information Software were made operational.

2005, 27th October

Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam, President of India, renamed the mother and child block as "Dr. Loocy Oommen Mother and Child Block".

2006,1st Novermber


 

Dr. Sudhir Joseph took over as Director on 1st Nov 2006. He is a well known General Surgeon. He joined the surgery department at St. Stephen's Hospital in 1990. His enthusiasm and team building skills have helped the institute in overcoming the present day challenges.

2007, 6th Feb

Inaugaration of New CT machine by Mr.Kapil Sibal, Minister for Science and Technology and Earth Sciences.

2007, 10th October

 

Rt. Rev Karam Masih tenure as Chairmen ended and Rt. Rev. Sunil Kumar Singh took over as Chairmen.

2007, 24th December

Dedication of the New Cross, built at entrance to the hospital.

2008, 16th April

The first Dr. Lucy Oommen Award for Excellence in Mother and Child Care for 2008 was awarded to Dr. Sharada Jain.

2008, 1st August


 

Start of College of Nursing

2008, 16th April

Inauguration of the Centenery celebrations of the School of Nursing Centenary by Smt.Shiela Dikshit, Sister Shanthamma - Principal of School of Nursing greeting Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit.

2008, 14th November

The first Sr. Alice Wilkinson award for excellence in Nursing was awarded to Dr. Margaret Dean.

2009

Degree programme in Allied Health Sciences was started.

2009, 26th Feb

Foundation Stone of St Stephens Hospital Health care facility Gurgaon consecrated by Rt. Revd. Sunil Kumar Singh Bishop of Delhi.

2010, 1st Jan

125 years Thanksgiving Ceremony graced by the Moderator of CNI most Revd. Purely Lyngdoh.

2010, May

Expansion of dialysis unit

2010

NABL & NABH certification process almost complete.

2010

The New St. Stephen‘s Health Care Facility in Gurgaon is due for completion by December 2010.

March, 2011

The department of Laboratory Digonastic Services received NABL Certification(M-0310).